Do you love to peruse a style blog for fashion and style inspiration, only to find that most of the images coming back at you don’t resemble your age, size, ethnic background or bank balance?
This was me before I started my personal style journey with House of Colour over a decade ago.
About to turn the ‘wrong side of 40’, with a post pregnancy shape that left my body with all sorts of styling challenges, I thought my fashionable and stylish days were behind me. Over a decade ago, trying to find stylish ‘plus size’ clothing or brands that produced garments that went beyond a size 14/16 were few and far between.
In fact, unless you were a standard size and fit, even trying to find petite sizes, shorter lengths, longer lengths, wider styles of shoes, was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Looking stylish resulted in oversized, dark, baggy, non-descript clothing styles, limited to a few shops, in the main. The really important message here, is that true style does not distinguish between size, age, colour or the amount of money in your bank account. Why? Because true style is about you understanding your true body shape, not the preconceived idea we all have about our own bodies. But, even beyond that, it’s about CONFIDENCE with your curves.
I use a simple equation which works for all body types from size 0 to size 30, and is completely inclusive:
Understanding your true body shape
People often laugh at me when I tell them that I am now a bigger clothes size than before I understood my personal style, but my confidence has exploded over the years. I know what suits me. I know what parts of my body to accentuate, so as to distract from my problem areas, such as the lymphodema I suffer in my legs. I know where to shop and the best colours to shop for. Getting dressed each day is fun rather than depressing or hard.
You deserve to feel like that too. After a House of Colour Style Consultation you will be equipped with the right tools, tips, and advice to feel stylish every day.
What is wonderful now is that the fashion world and designers have woken up and have seen that women and men of all ages, sizes, ethnic backgrounds and bank balances deserve to have more choice.
Most of the high-street and online brands now have ‘curve’ ranges extending way beyond size 14/16. H&M, Phase Eight, River Island, Mango, Monsoon, M&S, John Lewis, Pretty Little Thing, Boohoo, Neverfullydressed, Elvi, Kai Collection, Karen Millen and more.
It can still be a minefield.
Here are my ‘Best for’ retail suggestions for styling your curves:
- Best for classic style – MANGO – sizes up to 26. This Spanish retailer has some quality pieces that go the distance. Not to be underestimated.
- Best for versatile pieces – ASOS – all age ranges and from sizes 16-30. Includes ASOS own labels, branded clothes and designer labels. A great all round mix.
- Best for quality – ELVI – a mix of quality wardrobe pieces and high fashion styles
- Best for seasonal buys – RIVER ISLAND – a go-to shop for the best seasonal pieces. Sizes up to 28
- Best for variety – Simply B – a plus size treasure trove. This is the best retailer for wide-fit boots.
- Best for timeless pieces – Junarose – found through ASOS and owned by Vero Moda, you’ll find some flattering and tailored cuts
- Best new start-up – NEVER FULLY DRESSED – a brand that started in street markets is now very sought-after. Known for its versatile wrap dress styling and bold print designs
- Best for party and occasion dresses – CHI-CHI London – head to Chi Chi for your occasion dress by type and colour. All very affordable
- Best for cool everyday staples – H&M – favourite high street brand for ultra-fashionable pieces for all ages
- Best for vintage inspired – NEO ROSE STORE – find hidden trend-led gems with this brand found at ASOS
- Best for fashion forward brands – KAI COLLECTIVE – found by fashion blogger Fisayo Longe, this brand is worth checking out.
- Best for smart basics and occasion dresses – STUDIO 8 – sister brand of Phase Eight, Studio 8 size from 8-26
Be confident in who you are, radiate joy and happiness and style your unique body and personality and leave your misconceptions behind you. In the words of Coco Channel;
“Everyday is a fashion show and the world is your runway.”
To book your personal style consultation, you’ll find your nearest House of Colour consultant here
Blog written by Judi Prue,
Rickmansworth / Northwood / Stanmore
- Staycation Style Heroes
July 2021 Colour AnalysisChildren’s Colour Analysis – the gift that lasts a lifetime
- How to feel stylish in your working from home uniform (and how to switch it up)
- How House of Colour Improved my Life and Wardrobe
- Valentine’s Day: All you need is Love – and a Red lipstick!